Monday, January 09, 2006

Black Dog Returns

Black Dog had regained his strength by the end of 2005 and was running and acting like his old self again. I was keeping him chained most of the time letting him loose to exercise several times each day. He had the shelter that I had built for the goat to sleep in at night.

Sunday morning New Year's Day when I went out to check on him the shelter was totally destroyed and Black Dog was so weak he could hardly stand. I noticed that he had lost a good bit of blood but was not bleeding now. For two days he did not eat and lay around all the time. He began eating a little of his food but did not regain his strength. I took him back to the vet on Jan. 6. The vet noticed that the stub hip was swollen and that there was a large blood clot inside the incision. After removing the stitches the vet started to take out the clot and decided that he should stay in the clinic for a while. I had to return to the hospital to be with Jerry on Friday and to bring her home on Saturday so I did not get back to check on the dog until Monday.

The vet said that after I left on Friday Black Dog started bleeding profusely so they had to do surgery immediately and give him a transfusion. He said that the femoral artery had ruptured. I guess the damage had been done on New Year's Eve during whatever it was that happened to him at that time. They were able to stop the
bleeding and installed a drainage tube to keep the incision open.


He is now wearing a big collar that keeps him from turning his head to pull out the tube.


He looks really strange but has regained his strength and is again acting like the Black Dog that we knew before. He was even chasing the cat tonight as I did my nightly walking to the mailbox.











Now the cat has a better chance to get away as long as Black Dog is wearing the big collar.


2 Comments:

Blogger onemotherslove said...

Must have been a sight to see a 3-legged, shaved dog with a tube & big collar chasing a cat!

5:22 AM  
Blogger onemotherslove said...

The cat seems to be taunting him in those photos!

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home