Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thankful Thursday



I am thankful for the wonders of God's creation. Tonight as we got out of our car in the church parking lot we heard, "whoo, whoo.... whoo, whoo" It was already dark but we could just make out a form on top of the church steeple. The picture is so dark that you may have to stare at it a few minutes before you can see the big bird setting on top of the cross on top of the steeple!





In the following shot you can make out the shape of the Great Horned Owl's head at the upper right of his massive body.


The pastor told me later that they have been hearing this creature for several weeks recently as they slept with their windows open at night.



I don't have any pictures of my other recent wildlife adventure. A couple of nights ago I drove my new tractor through the pasture testing the lighting system. As I headed back for the house something caught my eye off to the left just out of range of the main work lights. Thinking it might have been a deer I turned the lights in that direction only to reveal a beautiful specimen of a coyote wearing his newly acquired winter coat!

He was a beautiful animal with a very full coat of light brown with lighter, almost white fur around his head. His tail was very full and bushy. As the bright lights brought him into full view he turned and trotted away a short distance before turning and looking directly into the headlights. He was no more than 30 to 35 feet away from me.

Without changing my speed or the sound of the tractor I kept him in the headlights for a long while. He would look directly into the lights and then turn and trot away. He kept repeating this process for quite a while. We must have driven about a quarter mile across the pasture with the animal staying only a few feet ahead of me until I finally turned back toward the house and he disappeared into the night once more. It was almost like watching one of this nature films on TV!

1 Comments:

Blogger onemotherslove said...

Those pictures are kinda creepy!

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home