In Memoriam
About 4 years ago I found a thin and aging nanny goat grazing in the pasture on the Wyrick farm. I lifted her into the trailer and brought her to our house where she stayed in a pen for a while. I would turn her out to graze in the yard for short periods of time. She preferred the young weeds and thistle plants with stickers on them. Grass did not seem to interest her.
Before too long I found an old leather dog collar an began to leave her staked to Granddaddy's old anvil.

After being attacked by the dog a couple of weeks ago she has been staying in a temporary pen each time that I let Jake run free for exercise. Friday the corner of the pen came loose and Jake got into the pen with Nanny and chewed her up badly. She expired late Sunday afternoon.
After a year or so on the leash I began letting Nanny run loose in the yard. She slept on the welcome mat by the front door and moved reluctantly when we came through the door. Often I took a walk after 10 pm and Nanny, Black Dog and the cat would follow me up to the mail box with Nanny bleating all the way. One Sunday morning at church one of our neighbors said that when they came by our house Black Dog and Nanny were at the highway by the end of our driveway keeping watch for our return.
A few months ago Nanny lost one of her horns. We don't know what happened but when the boys went outside after Sunday dinner they reported that Nanny was missing a horn. The horn was broken but still dangling from her head. I took her to the vet the next day for a shot of pain medication since she seemed to be having a lot of pain around the broken horn. The vet finished removing the horn. After that she was called the uni-goat.
I remember the first time Black Dog met Nanny on the front porch. She lowered her head and butted Black Dog in the ribs. He ran off yelping and never bothered her again.
A couple of years ago we had lots of dandelions in our yard. As you know dandelion blooms open each morning and close after the sun shines on them for a while. Nanny loved the dandelion blooms. She would graze around the yard eating one bloom after another. I think this was her favorite food of all the things that she ate. She did munch on our shrubbery a little but never did very much damage.
Nanny will be missed. I even think Black Dog will miss her. After she was injured he would lie next to her or sit by her side and lick her wounds to help keep them clean.
About 4 years ago I found a thin and aging nanny goat grazing in the pasture on the Wyrick farm. I lifted her into the trailer and brought her to our house where she stayed in a pen for a while. I would turn her out to graze in the yard for short periods of time. She preferred the young weeds and thistle plants with stickers on them. Grass did not seem to interest her.
Before too long I found an old leather dog collar an began to leave her staked to Granddaddy's old anvil.

After being attacked by the dog a couple of weeks ago she has been staying in a temporary pen each time that I let Jake run free for exercise. Friday the corner of the pen came loose and Jake got into the pen with Nanny and chewed her up badly. She expired late Sunday afternoon.
After a year or so on the leash I began letting Nanny run loose in the yard. She slept on the welcome mat by the front door and moved reluctantly when we came through the door. Often I took a walk after 10 pm and Nanny, Black Dog and the cat would follow me up to the mail box with Nanny bleating all the way. One Sunday morning at church one of our neighbors said that when they came by our house Black Dog and Nanny were at the highway by the end of our driveway keeping watch for our return.
A few months ago Nanny lost one of her horns. We don't know what happened but when the boys went outside after Sunday dinner they reported that Nanny was missing a horn. The horn was broken but still dangling from her head. I took her to the vet the next day for a shot of pain medication since she seemed to be having a lot of pain around the broken horn. The vet finished removing the horn. After that she was called the uni-goat.
I remember the first time Black Dog met Nanny on the front porch. She lowered her head and butted Black Dog in the ribs. He ran off yelping and never bothered her again.
A couple of years ago we had lots of dandelions in our yard. As you know dandelion blooms open each morning and close after the sun shines on them for a while. Nanny loved the dandelion blooms. She would graze around the yard eating one bloom after another. I think this was her favorite food of all the things that she ate. She did munch on our shrubbery a little but never did very much damage.
Nanny will be missed. I even think Black Dog will miss her. After she was injured he would lie next to her or sit by her side and lick her wounds to help keep them clean.

2 Comments:
I'm sad to hear about Nanny. David & I enjoyed her. I've got a good picture of her with David I'll email you.
Nanny was a welcoming presence everytime we came in late at night, whether from my mom's or coming in from the west.
Post a Comment
<< Home