What Is It?

Jeff needed Worcestershire powder for his Thanksgiving Turkey recipe. Being unable to find the powder at any local supermarkets he made a visit to Pendery's Spice House in Ft. Worth.
While there he made a purchase for me. Can you identify this unique herb from Mexico?

After crushing the dried herb and removing most of the stems I used a little less than a teaspoonful in a pot of beans. The label on the herb package suggested using a tablespoonful but I think the taste would be a little too strong for a new user!
The beans had a nice unique flavor not like any that I have tasted before. And yes there seems to have been a slight carminative effect. I think I will use a little more next time as we become accustomed to the flavor. While doing research on this herb I learned an interesting fact (it's common name in the US)!
Pigweed?

Jeff needed Worcestershire powder for his Thanksgiving Turkey recipe. Being unable to find the powder at any local supermarkets he made a visit to Pendery's Spice House in Ft. Worth.
While there he made a purchase for me. Can you identify this unique herb from Mexico?
After crushing the dried herb and removing most of the stems I used a little less than a teaspoonful in a pot of beans. The label on the herb package suggested using a tablespoonful but I think the taste would be a little too strong for a new user!
The beans had a nice unique flavor not like any that I have tasted before. And yes there seems to have been a slight carminative effect. I think I will use a little more next time as we become accustomed to the flavor. While doing research on this herb I learned an interesting fact (it's common name in the US)!
Pigweed?

2 Comments:
I've seen it. It's either manzanilla or piloncillo. But I think piloncillo is that brown sugar cube looking stuff
Actually the herb is epazote!
Post a Comment
<< Home