Saturday Road Trip
Saturday morning after finishing a few chores (lawn mowing, tending cattle, Grandma doing laundry) we hit the road. Lunch time found us in Hamilton just in time to visit Storm's Hamburgers. As usual they did a good job again today. Then the road led to the west. I missed the turn just out of Hamilton that goes toward Goldthwaite.

Our next stop was in Priddy to take a couple of pictures at the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. Andy and Ann Carol both called us while we were there. I had forwarded our home phone to me cell number. They were surprised to talk to us in Priddy. I am not sure either of them knew where Priddy is located.
From Priddy we drove on to San Saba to check on our cache at the Beveridge Suspension bridge. It was perfect timing. Judging by the looks of the freshly cut brush on the side of the road the county crew had passed by with the brush shredder about two days ago and sure enough they cut down the tree that was hiding our cache. The concrete container was in many pieces and the contents were scattered around in the ditch.
I had brought an ammo can just in case so I salvaged the log book and carefully hit the can behind a fence post.

We inspected the bridge which has just been fully restored. It will not be opened to vehicle traffic even though it looks stronger that it has been in many years. A new concrete bridge has been built just upstream from the old suspension bridge.
For more info about this bridge check our Geocache
page.

We took the back road from the Beveridge Bridge to the Regency Bridge. This is a much larger structure and is still open to vehicle traffic with a 5000 pound load limit. The center of the span looks to be about 125 feet above the water of the Colorado River below. I try not to think about that fact as I drive across the gently undulating span. The Beveridge Bridge crosses the San Saba River and the Regency Bridge spans the Colorado.
Saturday morning after finishing a few chores (lawn mowing, tending cattle, Grandma doing laundry) we hit the road. Lunch time found us in Hamilton just in time to visit Storm's Hamburgers. As usual they did a good job again today. Then the road led to the west. I missed the turn just out of Hamilton that goes toward Goldthwaite.

Our next stop was in Priddy to take a couple of pictures at the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. Andy and Ann Carol both called us while we were there. I had forwarded our home phone to me cell number. They were surprised to talk to us in Priddy. I am not sure either of them knew where Priddy is located.
From Priddy we drove on to San Saba to check on our cache at the Beveridge Suspension bridge. It was perfect timing. Judging by the looks of the freshly cut brush on the side of the road the county crew had passed by with the brush shredder about two days ago and sure enough they cut down the tree that was hiding our cache. The concrete container was in many pieces and the contents were scattered around in the ditch.
I had brought an ammo can just in case so I salvaged the log book and carefully hit the can behind a fence post.

We inspected the bridge which has just been fully restored. It will not be opened to vehicle traffic even though it looks stronger that it has been in many years. A new concrete bridge has been built just upstream from the old suspension bridge.
For more info about this bridge check our Geocache
page.

We took the back road from the Beveridge Bridge to the Regency Bridge. This is a much larger structure and is still open to vehicle traffic with a 5000 pound load limit. The center of the span looks to be about 125 feet above the water of the Colorado River below. I try not to think about that fact as I drive across the gently undulating span. The Beveridge Bridge crosses the San Saba River and the Regency Bridge spans the Colorado.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home