The Great Outdoors
I usually take Dumplin out just before bedtime each night. Wednesday evening I left her out for about 10 minutes. When I went to let her back inside she was nowhere to be found. (Remember that she is blind!)
I got the spot light and Grandma came out to help with the search. The light finally located her down the hill about half way to the pond. She seemed relieved when the strong light hit her - She does sense light.
Thursday night I stayed out while she took care of business. While we were waiting the big Black Dog came down the hill from the west near where I had left a garden hose with the water shut off at the nozzle. As he came down the hill I heard a sound like that made when the nozzle starts spraying a thin stream hitting dry leaves and grass. My first thought was, "How did that dog cause the nozzle to start spraying?"
As I listened more closely the hair on the back of my neck stood erect and I recognized the sound as that of a disturbed Diamondback. Black Dog has stopped as though he wondered what was making that noise so I called him to me before running into the house for the spotlight again. Grandma came out to hold the light while armed with a shovel I tried to locate the source of the sound which had gone silent by this time. There is tall grass along the edge of the lawn where I had heard the sound. The light was trembling as Grandma approached the tall grass and I held the shovel high ready to strike.
I finally spotted the fine specimen in a small depression behind a clump of grass. The round pointed shovel came down with great force striking dead center about 12 inches behind the head. It is amazing how tough those little creatures can be. The shovel did not cut into the flesh but only pinned him to the ground. The head began swaying around with open Mouth and fangs exposed.
I told Grandma to go back to the house for the sharp shooter spade. While she was gone with the light the darkness crept in around us and I could only imagine that this now angry rattler was still penned beneath my shovel. Grandma returned none too soon with the light and the weapon which I used to sever the snakes body behind his head. It took numerous strikes with this fairly sharp utensil before he quit striking against the shovel that held him in place.

This picture was taken after the fact with the severed portion just out of sight to the left. Notice the popscicle stick on the ground for size comparison.
I usually take Dumplin out just before bedtime each night. Wednesday evening I left her out for about 10 minutes. When I went to let her back inside she was nowhere to be found. (Remember that she is blind!)
I got the spot light and Grandma came out to help with the search. The light finally located her down the hill about half way to the pond. She seemed relieved when the strong light hit her - She does sense light.
Thursday night I stayed out while she took care of business. While we were waiting the big Black Dog came down the hill from the west near where I had left a garden hose with the water shut off at the nozzle. As he came down the hill I heard a sound like that made when the nozzle starts spraying a thin stream hitting dry leaves and grass. My first thought was, "How did that dog cause the nozzle to start spraying?"
As I listened more closely the hair on the back of my neck stood erect and I recognized the sound as that of a disturbed Diamondback. Black Dog has stopped as though he wondered what was making that noise so I called him to me before running into the house for the spotlight again. Grandma came out to hold the light while armed with a shovel I tried to locate the source of the sound which had gone silent by this time. There is tall grass along the edge of the lawn where I had heard the sound. The light was trembling as Grandma approached the tall grass and I held the shovel high ready to strike.
I finally spotted the fine specimen in a small depression behind a clump of grass. The round pointed shovel came down with great force striking dead center about 12 inches behind the head. It is amazing how tough those little creatures can be. The shovel did not cut into the flesh but only pinned him to the ground. The head began swaying around with open Mouth and fangs exposed.
I told Grandma to go back to the house for the sharp shooter spade. While she was gone with the light the darkness crept in around us and I could only imagine that this now angry rattler was still penned beneath my shovel. Grandma returned none too soon with the light and the weapon which I used to sever the snakes body behind his head. It took numerous strikes with this fairly sharp utensil before he quit striking against the shovel that held him in place.

This picture was taken after the fact with the severed portion just out of sight to the left. Notice the popscicle stick on the ground for size comparison.

2 Comments:
Such a skillfully taken photograph! : )
aaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home