Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Nature All Around Us

Monday afternoon during rest time I heard a sound outside the living room window that sounded much like a kitten crying. Approaching the window I noticed Black Dog looking toward a wet area in the corner by the flower bed, porch and water hydrant.

After chaining Black Dog to keep him out of the way I moved a piece of plywood that was covering the sump with a small amount of water. I was not expecting to see a snake enjoying a meal but that is what it was. A medium size dark colored snake, possibly a moccasin, was attempting to swallow a frog that was about twice as wide as the snakes mouth.

Jerry and I watched as the snake squirmed and wiggled and very very slowly the frog disappeared into its mouth. By this time I had gotten my 22 rifle and was considering the location of the water pipe and electric lines. The pipes, hoses and electric cord for the sump pump made it almost impossible to get at the reptile with any tools.

As the frog disappeared the snake rested his head against the mud at the edge of the water making an easy target. Did you realize that something as small as a 22 caliber slug could create such an explosion of mud and snake parts? Jerry and I were definitely surprised as we both were showered by debris and the snakes head disappeared into the hole in the mud.

1 Comments:

Blogger onemotherslove said...

GROSS!

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home