Meet Bob Barker

This Australian Cattle Dog aka Blue Heeler has recently come to live with us. We received a phone call one morning from one of the elderly ladies in Auburn asking for my help. She said a stray dog was chasing her chickens. So I went to help and came home with a dog. We asked around the neighborhood and nobody claimed him.
I kept him penned for several days and would turn him out occasionally to encounter a series of tests. First he could not stay here if he was unfriendly toward Dumplin. He passed this test. Second he could not stay here if he was aggressive toward Tiger Tom. Tiger was very fearful at first but soon gained courage as the new dog just ignored him. Third he could not stay here is he was overly aggressive toward the cattle. He has passed this test also so now he has a name, "Bob Barker."
He does like to bark. I have let him ride in the back of the pickup and he starts barking as soon as he gets in and continues to bark for the most of the ride. The cows are grazing the wheat field for a few hours at a time now each day before I drive them out of the field. While the ground is dry I can drive the truck in the field to drive them out. Barker keeps up an incessant yelping as though to say, "Move on little doggies, don't slow too much or I will chase you."

His color blends in with the winter vegetation.
-------------------------------------------------

This Australian Cattle Dog aka Blue Heeler has recently come to live with us. We received a phone call one morning from one of the elderly ladies in Auburn asking for my help. She said a stray dog was chasing her chickens. So I went to help and came home with a dog. We asked around the neighborhood and nobody claimed him.
I kept him penned for several days and would turn him out occasionally to encounter a series of tests. First he could not stay here if he was unfriendly toward Dumplin. He passed this test. Second he could not stay here if he was aggressive toward Tiger Tom. Tiger was very fearful at first but soon gained courage as the new dog just ignored him. Third he could not stay here is he was overly aggressive toward the cattle. He has passed this test also so now he has a name, "Bob Barker."
He does like to bark. I have let him ride in the back of the pickup and he starts barking as soon as he gets in and continues to bark for the most of the ride. The cows are grazing the wheat field for a few hours at a time now each day before I drive them out of the field. While the ground is dry I can drive the truck in the field to drive them out. Barker keeps up an incessant yelping as though to say, "Move on little doggies, don't slow too much or I will chase you."

His color blends in with the winter vegetation.
-------------------------------------------------

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home