Thursday, May 31, 2007

I am a Geocacher

Beaver asked, "What is a cache and what is a travelbug?"

According to Wikipedia "Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning system (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little monetary value. Today, well over 350,000 geocaches are currently placed in 222 countries around the world, which are registered on various websites devoted to the sport."

I am one of those "Geocachers" and as of this week I have found a total of 460 caches hidden all the way from Tennessee to California. The fun is not so much in what you find but in the adventure of getting there. It has taken me to so many areas even close to home that I would have never gone for any other reason. There is so much to see and learn about.

See http://www.geocaching.com/

A Travel Bug is usually a little toy with a metal tag attached for identification. It is hidden in a cache - someone finds it and moves it to another cache often taking pictures along the way (somewhat like the Flat Stanley project). I hid a Travel Bug in a cache in Ellis County not far from where Jeff lives. Last year it appeared on the tip of South Africa and now it is near a lighthouse on the northern tip of an island in the Baltic Sea just east of Sweden.



Again according to Wikipedia,

A Travel Bug is a registered trademark of Groundspeak Inc used to describe a dogtag used in Geocaching. It is moved from cache to cache, and its travels can be logged on a website. Each travel bug tag is printed with a unique number, which is needed to post a log online.

Travel bugs are tracked on the Groundspeak-owned website Geocaching.com (as well as a few other sites).
Some travel bugs have missions to travel to a specific cache, location or a certain type of location. Other travel bugs simply have the goal of traveling as far and widely as possible.

Does any of this make any sense?

1 Comments:

Blogger Beaver said...

That is so cool! Makes the world seem so small - or maybe so big! I remember when I was in 2nd grade, we all had to write letters to someone who lived as far away as we knew and ask them to write us back (didn't have Flat Stanley back then). I got a prize because I wrote to my uncle in the Navy who was stationed in Guam and he wrote me back - his was the farthest letter anyone in our class received!

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home