Wet or Dry? It's Texas!
I heard on the radio that the weather station at DFW recorded one of the driest Augusts on record with only a fraction of an inch of rainfall for the entire month. August is supposed to be dry in central Texas. This year the weather station at Love Field in Dallas reported one of the wettest months on record with over three inches of rain for the month. DFW and Love Field are only 12 miles apart!
Our corner of the county has had almost no rain in August. There were only a couple of sprinkles that all together totaled less than a quarter inch. The cracks were getting wide in our yard and I had begun watering the foundation of our house to slow the movement caused by the shrinking clay soil. The fields where I want to plant wheat this fall need plowing but when I checked the soil yesterday the soil was too dry and hard to plow properly.
A light rain had begun falling last night and I could hear rain on the skylight whenever I was awake during the night. By morning the dry field looked like this....

Chambers Creek was spreading out of its banks and covered the field until late in the afternoon. My rain gauge had fallen down but a neighbor with an electronic gauge reported almost seven inches overnight! I think our drought is broken again. Our sky cleared throughout the day and by night the sun gave us a beautiful display.
I heard on the radio that the weather station at DFW recorded one of the driest Augusts on record with only a fraction of an inch of rainfall for the entire month. August is supposed to be dry in central Texas. This year the weather station at Love Field in Dallas reported one of the wettest months on record with over three inches of rain for the month. DFW and Love Field are only 12 miles apart!
Our corner of the county has had almost no rain in August. There were only a couple of sprinkles that all together totaled less than a quarter inch. The cracks were getting wide in our yard and I had begun watering the foundation of our house to slow the movement caused by the shrinking clay soil. The fields where I want to plant wheat this fall need plowing but when I checked the soil yesterday the soil was too dry and hard to plow properly.
A light rain had begun falling last night and I could hear rain on the skylight whenever I was awake during the night. By morning the dry field looked like this....
Chambers Creek was spreading out of its banks and covered the field until late in the afternoon. My rain gauge had fallen down but a neighbor with an electronic gauge reported almost seven inches overnight! I think our drought is broken again. Our sky cleared throughout the day and by night the sun gave us a beautiful display.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home