Wednesday Morning in Sacramento
I did a little sightseeing this morning. Drove around town and stopped for a visit at the state capitol building. After touring the building I walked around in the park-botanical garden surrounding the area. It was really cold so I wore my heavy jacket with the hood up. I looked just like the other homeless people I had seen a little earlier a few blocks away.

My next stop was the California railroad museum that detailed the history of the first transcontinental railroad and its construction. This is one of the early engines used to pull freight over the mountain. It was really small.

This was a short line that ran from Virginia City to Truckee serving the gold and silver mining areas in the Sierras.

I was surprised to see the very simple hitch arrangement of these early cars. They only used a simple hitch pin.

This was one of the last steam engines to pull freight over the pass. This engine was HUGE compared with the earlier engines. It is a 4-16-2 cab forward design.

Outside the turntable connects with the roundhouse section of the museum building. Notice the dual tracks to accommodate both standard and narrow gauge rolling stock.

The heavy undercarriage of the turntable.

Just down the track workmen were loading Christmas trees on the Polar Express cars that will run excursions during the Christmas season. All the tickets are already sold out.
I did a little sightseeing this morning. Drove around town and stopped for a visit at the state capitol building. After touring the building I walked around in the park-botanical garden surrounding the area. It was really cold so I wore my heavy jacket with the hood up. I looked just like the other homeless people I had seen a little earlier a few blocks away.
My next stop was the California railroad museum that detailed the history of the first transcontinental railroad and its construction. This is one of the early engines used to pull freight over the mountain. It was really small.
This was a short line that ran from Virginia City to Truckee serving the gold and silver mining areas in the Sierras.
I was surprised to see the very simple hitch arrangement of these early cars. They only used a simple hitch pin.
This was one of the last steam engines to pull freight over the pass. This engine was HUGE compared with the earlier engines. It is a 4-16-2 cab forward design.
Outside the turntable connects with the roundhouse section of the museum building. Notice the dual tracks to accommodate both standard and narrow gauge rolling stock.
The heavy undercarriage of the turntable.
Just down the track workmen were loading Christmas trees on the Polar Express cars that will run excursions during the Christmas season. All the tickets are already sold out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home