Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Good Day - Bad Day!

After visiting with Marvin this morning I went to Alvarado for a haircut. As I left the barber shop I noticed Suzanne Schreiber's car at the Methodist Church where she works as receptionist so I stopped for a visit. We had not talked for a very long time. She reported on all her children and I did the same. It was good to renew the old friendship.

Next I spent some time at our church office talking by phone with electric company reps promoting their energy rates. They were much more interested in talking about how good their service was instead of what their electric rate would be. I am still waiting for a fax from one other company and then will share all the info with the properties committee for a final decision.

Dumplin and I had a good nap in the recliner after lunch. The man from Devon gas production company called about Jerry's royalty interest in Ma Priest's property. He answered some of our questions but I still wanted some legal advice before we sign the contract.

The sun had begun to shine and the day was quite warm. I checked on cows at Flossie's barn with Black Dog following close behind. As I left there to go to Auburn I watched a truck come by making sure that Black Dog stayed out of the road. After visiting pastures at Auburn and around and visiting with Mr. Parr for a spell I returned home and hauled some gravel for the driveway. When I finished there I put some air in the front tractor tires and noticed Black Dog lying near the house. I used the compressor to put air in the car tires and check on a few other things around the yard. Then I heard Black Dog crying out near the cattle trailer. I went to check on him and noticed that his back leg was badly hurt. I assumed he had been hit by a car on the highway.

It was almost 5 pm so I quickly loaded him into the Excursion and headed for the vet, calling on the way to be sure that they would still be open. Black Dog was well behaved but cried most of the way to Alvarado. The xray showed that the right rear femur had been shattered but not by a car. There were lead fragments showing on the xray. He had been shot! The vet said it would be very difficult to reconstruct the bone in that condition and recommended amputation. They will do that tomorrow. Tonight I called our neighbors to let them know what had happened. David Parrish said another neighbor had a dog with a similar gunshot a couple of weeks ago!

We were late for supper at church but did get there in time for some of Nina's meatloaf. Our meeting was very informal tonight giving everyone a chance to relax from the rush of the season. The youth department came in to join the adults and the youth minister preached the Christmas Story to the whole group. I am sure many of the youth had never heard the story before. There were about 65 youth present.

A short choir practice made final plans for the Sunday morning service. Now the sandman approaches.

1 Comments:

Blogger onemotherslove said...

Do you have any pictures of Black Dog? I'll pray for him tomorrow.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home