Thursday, December 15, 2005

Back To School!

Yesterday I went to the doctor for cough and chest congestion. The diagnosis was complications from asthma. He prescribed two different inhalers, a liquid anti-biotic and a week’s worth of steroid pills. The tightness and congestion is already gone but I still have a tickle that causes coughing at times.

Thursday morning I left home a little before 6 am to attend a training session at Tarleton in Stephenville that will allow me to renew my pesticide applicator's license. McDonalds in Cleburne was in just the right spot to stop for a Big Breakfast. When I got to Chalk Mountain just west of Glen Rose the eastern sky was aglow from the approaching sunrise. The sky above the western horizon was dark blue in the lower part changing to a pinkish rose color above that. A huge white full moon was just sinking into the darker lower part of the sky. I had been getting a little sleepy as the car was getting quite warm inside and the thermometer indicated 27 degrees when I crossed the Paluxy River. The beauty of God's creation this morning awakened my senses as I watched the world unfold around me.

By the time I had completely ascended Chalk Mountain the first rays of the morning sun were highlighting the red and brown leaves of the oak trees that are interspersed among the green cedars along the mountain-side. The highway at this point is heading in a south-southwesterly direction and I could see the big orange ball out my left window and the big white sphere against the bark blue sky out my right window.

After a couple more miles the moon descended behind a butte and the sun appeared directly behind me as the road turned back to the west. I was certainly glad to be driving west as I noticed my shadow on the road ahead extending for about a quarter mile out.

I got to Stephenville and located the meeting site a little early so took advantage of the extra time to go to Wal-mart to pick up a few items that were on my list. The meeting finally began at 9 o'clock after waiting in a long registration line and continued until noon when we were treated to a fried catfish dinner served from a mobile trailer. The fish was really good and the dinner included all the trimmings. The hush puppies were little round cylinders almost like the ones we used to get at Bill Martins. Two more hours of class after lunch and we were awarded our CEU certificates as we left. Now I have enough credits to renew my pesticide license.


Jerry felt like going to supper at church tonight but did not stay to play train. I took her home and came back to work in the office doing computer backup and repairing some spreadsheets for Sharon (and enjoying the high speed internet connection!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home