Saturday, September 29, 2007

Saturday Wanderings



Did you ever notice that spider lilies seem to do better when they are just neglected? The old home place is all overgrown now but this rainy summer grew some great bulbs.






Where does that line go?

A few days ago while driving up old 81 between Hillsboro and Itasca I noticed a new power line with concrete poles. To the west is seemed to be coming from the direction of the power plant below Whitney Dam. I wondered where its destination might be. This afternoon I sat up the computer with mapping software in the Prius and headed for southern Ellis County.




Before long I came upon this scene from "Places in the Heart."
Do you remember the choir singing in this little church at Bethel? I could almost see Sally Field coming out the front door!







Then I remembered coming here for aunt Irene's funeral. It was a warm spring day and the stain glass windows were open to allow the cool breeze to bring in the sound of birds in the trees outside.






The mourners walked behind the casket from the church to the burial site just across the little county road.


















The tabernacle where the dance was held in the movie. This is the actual site of the very first "Lord's Acre Sale" ever held.







About a mile south of Bethel stands the abandoned Five Points cotton gin. This is where Sally Field brought her wagon load of hand picked cotton to be processed.






Now the trash collectors stand as a silent reminder of times long ago.








Do you remember the reason for this trip? Here is where the search ended. Just about a mile south of five points is a small electrical substation, a part of the old rural coop electrification network. This is the final destination for the power line of concrete poles. From here the power is distributed to the community on smaller wooden supported lines.


I drove on to Italy where I stopped for a free sample of beef jerky at the new station on I35E. It is just like the gas station south of Burleson that has a Sonic and BBQ restaurant included.

Next came the Milford cemetery where I searched for a cache that was not to be found. FM 308 led me back home just barely in time for supper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home